Donating appreciated stocks, bonds, or mutual funds is easy, and you’ll often receive a significant tax benefit in the year you make the donation, while avoiding the capital gains tax you would have to pay if you sold the securities. These tax savings help you give more to the Vermont Historical Society with little to no out-of-pocket cost to you, unlike an outright gift of cash. Securities must be received in the Vermont Historical Society brokerage account via electronic transfer on or before June 30 to be recorded in the current fiscal year, or December 31 to ensure your gift is tax-deductible in the calendar year intended.
How It Works
- In order for us to accurately identify, allocate, and acknowledge your gift, it is important that VHS is notified prior to every stock transfer. Please contact Tori Hart, Director of Development at (802) 479-8516 prior to making the transfer and for more complete transfer instructions.
- Your transfer securities you’ve held for more than a year to the Vermont Historical Society. Transferring the stock, rather than selling it yourself and giving VHS the proceeds, is necessary to avoid capital gains tax.
- You receive gift credit and tax breaks.
- VHS immediately sells your securities and uses the proceeds for its programs.
Benefits of Stock Gifts
- You get an immediate income tax deduction for the fair market value of the securities on the date of transfer, no matter what you originally paid for them.
- You pay no capital gains tax on the securities you donate.
- You avoid a broker’s sales commission on the sale.
- You can direct your gift to a specific fund or purpose.
Stock Transfer Instructions
Vermont Historical Society Tax ID #: 03-0179602
Vanguard DTC #: 0062
VHS Account: 31792922
For more details, or to discuss gift options, please contact Tori Hart at (802) 479-8516 or firstname.lastname@example.org.